Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Digging for letters

My kids LOVE. THIS. STATION. And I love the letter practice and fine motor practice they are getting! Plus, it's super fun. And super quiet. Everything you want in a workstation. :)

We have a "magic table" in our room. This table has been our "morning check-in" table all year. The kids literally use it everyday.



Well... last week... they discovered what is underneath:


A SAND TABLE!!!

This is the first time I have used the sand table in my classroom. I have had it for four year! But, I'm a total neat freak in my classroom, and I've never *trusted* my class like I do this year. My class is absolutely wonderful -- so mature and so responsible. I knew they would do wonderful. In 2 weeks, there has been no sand on the floor! Hooray!


But... it's not just a sand table. It's our current ABC Station. It's called "Digging for Letters."


Using a Sharpie marker, I wrote letters on glass gems (from the dollar store), and "hid" them in the sand. The kids then dig for the letters -- and record it on this sheet:


It's a hit! My kids just love it - and they are so cute when they find a letter. "LOOK! I found H!"

Click on the picture above or HERE for the printable.

3 comments:

  1. Jamie--Ro and I will totally be doing a variation of this! We may have to start with colors. The only letter he seems to identify correctly is "X"...you know, crossbones (DEFENSE!) haha You're such a creative teacher! Keep the ideas coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamie-Ro and I will definitely be doing a variation of this at home! We may have to do colors since the only letter he seems to identify correctly is "x". You know, for crossbones...DEFENSE! :) You're such a creative teacher! Keep the ideas coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha ha -- loved seeing you today! Ronan is so cute. Let me know if you ever need any materials or anything -- I have early childhood stuff coming out my ears!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!