1. They take forever to bake.
2. They have a weird ketchupy paste on the top (yep - ketchupy).
3. They are stuffed with rice. And I don't like rice (my hubby either!)
I wanted a healthier, faster, better recipe that fit our tastes. So, I ended up with this version. I love this recipe. It is a hodge-podge of many recipes. I tweaked it and perfected it until it was just right for me.
Better even -- it's more of a method than a true recipe. You can substitute as much as you want -- just use the method. Use a different grain, add different vegetables or seasonings.
Stop reading -- and go buy some peppers (Trader Joe's has the best!). You won't regret it! This dinner is always a pleaser! Keep reading below for the recipe...
Better, Faster Stuffed Peppers
4 large bell peppers (yellow, red, or orange) -- seeded and halved
1/2 lb. ground beef or pork -- browned and drained
1/2 cup onion, diced
1 cup warm, cooked Israeli couscous (pearl couscous)
1 can fire-roasted tomatoes (drained)
1/2 cup parmesan cheese + a little extra
1 tsp. minced garlic
3 tsp. Worchestershire
Several big squirts of ketchup
Hot sauce, to taste
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Toss pepper halves with a little olive oil in a large microwave-safe bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave 6-9 minutes (until slightly soft).
3. Mix all remaining ingredients in a large bowl -- season to taste. (Add enough ketchup to "bind" mixture together).
4. Carefully holding warm pepper halves in a towel, stuff with mixture (I use a large metal spoon).5. Place stuffed pepper halves in greased 9x13 glass dish.
6. Sprinkle tops with extra parmesan cheese, and cover dish with foil.
7. Bake for 20 minutes.
Serve with ketchup for dipping!