Friday, May 10, 2013

Addition -- the kinder way

I have random favorite units to teach... and beginning addition is one of them. Here's why:
  • It's fun and hands-on.
  • It lends itself to great games and activities.
  • The kids feel SO COOL when they learn how to do it.
  • For some reason... the kids just get it. All of them. It's pretty amazing.
Anyways, here are my favorite things we did this year for our addition unit:


First, we start by learning number stories -- or number families (using the words "and" and "is" in place of the + and =)

We wrote a class book about animals and number stories...





This is always a favorite station -- the Domino Express. It's a great way to teach "number families."



And... my favorite game! Shut the Box. So fun for a small group, pair, or even individual practice. Check it out! It's a classic!

Then, the kids are so excited to learn how to use a + sign and = sign...

This was a really fun small group activity. The kids loved the ice cream theme -- and I loved the genuine practice. E-mail me or leave a comment if you want the printable!

This is another great practice for just learning the + and =... domino addition. E-mail me or leave a comment if you want the printable!

My kinders love it all -- I hope yours do, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!