Friday, April 27, 2012

Spicy Dr. Pepper Pork -- AMAZING!


STOP what you are doing and make this! Seriously... it is THAT GOOD! I do not like leftovers (I know, I'm crazy), but my husband and I ate this for 5 days straight. Each meal, after the first bite, one of us would say, "Oh my god, this is so good." This recipe (from the wonderful, inspiring Pioneer Woman) will now be a staple in our house.

Plus... it's in the crock pot. I'm not saying it again - make this now! Keep reading below for a photo tutorial and more details.


Here's what you'll need:

  • Large crock pot
  • 12 oz. Dr. Pepper (1 can or part of a bottle)
  • 1 onion
  • 1 can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (holy moly... this stuff is amazing!)
  • Brown sugar
  • Pork shoulder roast (mine was a bit over 3 pounds)
  • For serving -- wheat tortillas, sauteed red peppers, shredded cheese, sour cream
Okay... time to start!

1. Quarter the onion (on your K-State cutting board, of course!)

2. Slightly separate the quarters with your fingers and spread on the bottom of the crock pot.

3. Put the pork on top.

4. Pour the chipotle peppers in adobo over the top. Breathe. They smell amazing!

5. Pour the Dr. Pepper over the top. Sounds weird, but oh my goodness it's wonderful. You cannot taste the pop in it when it's done. If you are using a bottle like me, you will not need the whole thing (only 12 oz.)

6. Add two spoonfuls of brown sugar...

... and stir the liquid a little bit.

7. Put the lid on -- set it and forget it! :) Cook 7-8 hours on low.

8. After the long, agonizing 8 hours (did I mention how great this smells?), carefully lift the pork out and shred with 2 forks on a plate.

9. Return the pork to the liquid in the crock pot.
There's probably other ways to serve this (on a bun or even by itself), but we LOVED it like this:

Put on a wheat tortilla...

... add some sauteed red bell peppers...

... and some shredded cheese (and sour cream - no picture, sorry!) CHOW DOWN!
ENJOY! I hope you love it as much as we did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!