Saturday, March 1, 2014

So many questions!


So, the kids have been VERY excited about "the baby in Mrs. A's tummy." It's pretty cute. Everything they say about it just makes me laugh. Their innocent view of life seems to be magnified lately.

Yesterday, we were reading a "Little Critter" book about a new baby (mainly because one of my students is getting a baby brother this weekend). Little Critter was talking about how he was showing the baby his favorite games and books, but the baby wasn't paying attention. One little girl raised her hand and said, "That's because babies have these teeny, tiny little brains. And right after you show them something -- they just forget!" 

I have received some incredibly kind e-mails from my students' parents (current and past) congratulating me on the news. One of my favorites said this:

We are so happy for you!  You are going to be the best mom!  J told me today to tie her shoes extra right so that you didn't have to bend over and hurt the baby in your tummy:). Congratulations!

So cute. But, the BEST of all was an e-mail to my friend and co-worker who teaches kindergarten with me. She was laughing when I came in the door yesterday morning and told me she had to read me the e-mail she just got from one of her student's parents. Seriously hilarious. (I've changed his name to Jack for the story). Enjoy!


Hi Mrs. N,

I need your help!  Jack was excited to share the good news about Mrs. Anderson after school today!  He also was FULL of questions that I didn’t know how to answer!  So I did the best I could in my state of shock and stammered out answers that are not at all based on fact.  When he asked how the baby got in her tummy, I told him that when mommys and daddys love each other, sometimes their love makes a baby.  I know, so wrong but seriously, he’s FIVE!!  I didn’t expect these questions for at least a couple of years, after I’d had a chance to rehearse my answers calmly and correctly.  Then he asked again, "But how did the baby get IN there?"  I just said, “The LOVE!” 

Oh man…okay so then he asked me, “Well how does the baby get out?”  I was starting to sweat by then and continued stuttering. I told him that sometimes mommys need to have an operation and he interrupts and says, “But there’s no opening.”  Finally we just changed the subject.

But what should I have said?!!!  If he asks you, what would you say?  I don’t want him to have all the answers now, he’s too young…but I thought he was too young to ask in the first place.  Help me!!

 Jack's mom


To the parents out there... here's what us kindergarten teachers do. Ask the kids, "Well, what do YOU think?" And when they give you their answer, say, "That's exactly right." :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!