Wednesday, December 12, 2012

'Tis the season

Is there anything more beautiful than kindergartners singing Christmas carols?

Answer: No.

I love the holiday season with my kinders. Their joy and innocence is at its absolute best in December. The mixture of true belief, the promise of Santa, and simple joyful cheer cause the most darling sparkle in a child's eye.

This year has been difficult to "get into the spirit" -- at least if you live in Omaha! After four years of living here, I have learned to equate December with feet of snow. December brings the buzz of snowblowers in the early mornings, a frisky dog running in from the yard, and the 15-minute battle with snow gear before recess.

But, not this year. In fact, today, on December 12, my kinders were digging in the sand with shovels and buckets. This just does not feel like Christmas in Omaha!

In addition, every year, Christmas is a strange time for a couple with no children (like us!) Yes, I love the holidays. Yes, we put up a tree and our stockings. But, besides wrapping up an unnecessary amount of dog toys and treats, Christmas feels a bit disconnected at home with no children. 

But, I'm lucky. I have 17 little bright lights to bring my Christmas spirit to life. Even the biggest Scrooge among us couldn't help but light up when you see a five-year-old pumping her legs on a swing, singing "Frosty the Snowman" at the top of her lungs.

My kids breathe air into my life -- and remind me of the simple joys in life. Snow, or no snow, my Christmas spirit lives in my students. And I know, no matter what the weather, December will always mean joy, cheer, and unbridled excitement in a kindergarten classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!