Wednesday, December 5, 2012

The Red Kettle

It's Red Kettle season. I can't walk past one without dropping something in. I just can't.
There's something about a ringing bell and a red kettle that just makes it feel like Christmas.

But, the Red Kettle always reminds me of something else -- my husband. It brings me back to a sentimental place.

I know. Weird. But this is why...

It was 2007, and we had been dating for about 6 months. I was still living in Kansas and he was living in Omaha. I loved making weekend trips up to "the big city" to see him. We always did lots of things together -- out to dinner, the zoo, walking downtown, etc.

This Saturday night, we were going to see a movie. And I can't see a movie without candy. I have a serious sweet tooth.

So, we headed to Hy-Vee nearby to pick up some candy before the movie (I carry this giant purse for a reason!). Tyson and I were chatting at the check-out counter as he paid with his debit card. The checker handed Tyson the receipt with the $20 cash he withdrew. I grabbed the candy, and out of the corner of my eye, I saw Tyson fold the bill into a tiny square and put it in the palm of his hand.

As we walked out the door, hand-in-hand, Tyson dropped the tiny square in the Red Kettle and just kept walking. He turned to me and said, "I can't walk past a Red Kettle without dropping something in. I didn't have any change."

That's the day I knew I was going to marry him.

And I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!