Sunday, June 17, 2012

Travel Map


When I saw this idea at C.R.A.F.T. - I knew I had to have one! I love to travel and I thought this would be a perfect way for Tyson and I to mark where we have been together. Mine is a little simpler, but I love it just as much. I've already made two more as gifts... so make one today! 


Keep reading below for a photo tutorial.



Here's what you'll need:

  • Corkboard (mine was $5 at Target)
  • Scotch tape
  • Scissors
  • Sharpies -- one thin and one regular
  • Map of U.S. (or the world) -- blown up to fill up most ofyour corkboard. If you want to use the one I did, go to this site and when you print the map, print it at 350% scale. It will print on many different pages. Otherwise, play around with another map until you get the size you want!
Okay - time to start!


1. Carefully cut out all your map pieces. Use scotch tape to tape it together. Place in the middle of your corkboard and secure with a few pieces of rolled tape underneath. 


2. Using your thin-tipped Sharpie, carefully trace around the whole map.


You'll end up with a thin outline, so...


... go over all of your outline with the thicker Sharpie to make a nice clean line.


3. Take your map and carefully start cutting apart the states -- a couple at a time. I started in the NW corner.


4. Line up the state with your outline...


... and trace the states one at a time.


5. Keep moving across the map tracing one state at a time. Be very careful to line up the states that should have "straight lines."


[If your husband is like mine, he will be putting your states back together as you go.]


6. Go over all the lines with the regular-tipped Sharpie for nice clean lines...


... hang it up and add your pins! You could even do two colors of pins -- one for places you've been and one for places you want to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!