Saturday, September 22, 2012

Crock Pot Apple Oatmeal


This recipe is kindergarten-approved! Every year, we do a unit on apples. Each student brings in an apple and we sort and graph them. Sometime during our unit, we make Crock Pot Apple Oatmeal.

It's adorable. We read the recipe together, measure, count, mix, discuss, etc. It's a great natural lesson. We let it cook all day -- and at the end of the day, we eat it! 

This year, every single one of my students asked for seconds. They couldn't get enough! It's a healthy, delicious, and in the crock pot. Could you ask for anything more???




I always send home the recipe with parents -- and I thought I'd share it here, too! 
------------------------------------------
Apple Oatmeal
2 cups oats (use the old-fashioned rolled oats)
4 cups milk
4 packed TB brown sugar
2 TB vanilla
2-4 apples - skin on, rough chop
  
- Mix and cook 1-2 hours on high or 2-3 hours on low.
- Serve with a sprinkle of cinnamon on top (my kinders love this part!)
 ------------------------------------------
I usually double this recipe for my class, but this recipe with be plenty for a family. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVED LOVED LOVED this! Thanks for making it for me last weekend...I plan on making it at home soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!